Friday, January 28, 2011

Reptiles

We have a few Blue Tongue lizards in the garden and many skinks and sometimes even a visiting snake but generally the dogs seem to keep these away. They are used to the lizards and I won't let them harass them. The lizards need the sun's warmth to get going and I manage to take their photo when the  weather is cool and they are lethargic. I put a snail near a blue tongue lizard the other day and its tongue came out to test the air, then crunch, the snail was downed with relish. Great pest control! I love seeing the lizards come out from hibernation because it means that summer is on its way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-tongued_skink



Reptiles which visit us infrequently are snakes. The dogs usually alert us and below I show a photo of a Lowland Copperhead snake.

 
For more information see below.




No comments:

Post a Comment