Saturday, January 29, 2011

Amphibians

Frogs live at our place and I Iove hearing their chorus. It means there is moisture around and the ones living in the pot plants on the verandah benefit from a spray of the hose. I'm sure I once heard a form of communication between these verandah frogs and our rooster. Every time the rooster crowed, the frog followed suit and would reply with his croak. I've identified these frogs as Litoria ewingi. They are a small brown tree frog.
Another frog I found I think looks like the Pobblebonk or Eastern Banjo Frog and I show a picture below.



                     Eastern Banjo Frog (Limnodynastes dumerilli)


A link for both species can be found here 
Another good website to visit is here  because you can hear the various frog calls and add to a Melbourne census.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely story. Iove frogs too, except for the cane toad. But then he's not one of ours, is he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is a bad story and now I hear that Asian honey bees are invading us and they are referred to as being "The 21st century's cane toad"

    ReplyDelete